Saturday, May 21, 2011

There is love....and then there is a divine romance!

Its a love story that was told from the beginning of time! Its a love story that has captured the fancy of many a heroic Romeo! Its a love story that came to us before we knew the meaning of love! A love story that showed us love isn't given to us to stay- love isn't love at all untill its given away!

And who better to live this love story than the embodiment of love himself! A guy every girl fancies in her heart of hearts! a guy that tipped the first stirrings of love and passion in many a damsel's mind! The guy who told his mother so fearlessly and still lovingly - "Mother, is it wrong to love a girl, who from the minute she met me, has breathed only because she wanted to live to see me, has sang only because her heart strung melodies of her love for me, has cried only because of her fear of losing me and has lived only so she could have a chance to live her life with me; Mother - do you think it would be my Dharma to forsake an innocent milkmaid just because she has given me her all?!!"

The eloquence of his love brought tears in the eyes of his mother not because she thought she was going to lose her son, but because she knew that the time had come for her expand her heart and accept that her son, her beloved Kanha, had grown up! and grown up just the way she wished to see him one day when she has held his tender fingers all those years ago in his crib! She had done well by him! and Boy! was she proud!

There are times when one meets or hears of something so beautiful that it leaves a lingering but pleasurable heart ache, the kind that flutters faster than the wings of a bird, the eyelashes of a coquettish damsel! Every time I have heard or read about Radha and Krishna, I have this same lingering heartache with the childhood fancy that I too will have my Kanha some day!

How tender and unconditional must have been his love for Radha when he told her that as a standing example of their love through time, his name would always be preceded by hers - "Radha Krishna! and NEVER Krishna Radha!"because to him, it was always only about her before everything else! She was his joy! his inspiration and the only bride that he could not win for himself - not because she did not love him, but because she loved him more than he loved himself! Because she could not bear the thought of a day when she should no longer be his joy and innocent hope when he battled with the vices and responsibilities of his new found royal life! She combined the innocence of a village milkmaid with the independence of an urban upbringing when she faced him, her fierce love shining in her eyes and said ," Kanha, I cannot love you more than I do now , because I have given you my all! I have nothing left to give but my love for you which I treasure beyond life itself! Kanha, by asking me to come with you to Mathura, you ask me to sacrifice the love I have built as an altar for you, as I know you now! In Mathura, amidst all the royal manipulations and
strategems, I would no longer be your inspiration for pure innocence and purity that Iam now - I would be a misfit there!"
"Kanha, you have a role to fullfill, and I will not stand in your path! Likewise do not rip my love for you and force me to morph into royalty,I will not be who I want to be for you if you tear me away from myself!

Kanha, reached his height of an exemplary lover when he looked with great respect and love at Radha and said " Your love for me Radha, cannot be matched! If this be your decision, I also have an offering to make at your altar of love" and he handed his flute to her , never to lift it again even as the thousand melodies the venugopala had blown into them breezed their memories! Such is his love, that if he ceases to be the person we love, he ceases to be that person itself!

As Francesca puts it so well " Give me a man who is man enough to give himself only to the woman who is worth him! And I will love him , forever!" There is indeed no great wonder in Radha giving her all to Kanha - for he gave himself to her in a way indescribably beautiful - he let her be the person that she wanted to be! And gave her the freedom to love him the way she wanted him to be! Even though it meant their physical separation, he NEVER looked back! For what greater sacrifice could be than the sacrifice of true love itself for your beloved?! For Kanha, it wasnt a sacrifice! It was only tipping the scales to move into a higher platform of love that you and I may never be able to comprehend, unless we feel in totality the wonderful love that was theirs!

There is an old Hindi song which goes...."Ek radha Ek Meera; Dono ne Shyam ko Chaha; Anthar kya dono ke preeth me bolo - ek jeeth na maana ek Haar na Maana"
( There was Radha and then there was Meera, both of them loved Shyama, what is the difference in their love? One did not accept Success and one did not accept defeat!)

When I first read these lines, I was puzzled! What did these lines mean? And then a dear friend told me - maybe its like this - With Meera - she had to undergo a thousand tests and obstacles to prove her love for Krishna and all through her life, whatever her troubles, she NEVER accepted defeat! And through never accepting defeat, won over her Giridhara nagar!
However Radha, all through her life, battled for the victory of her Kanha and never accepted any advantageous offering of marriage from Kanha - only so he could win and succeed in his mission! And By NEVER accepting the success of power of her love over him , she won over her Kanha!

Ye Bhool Kaise karoon mein - mein bhool jaaon tujhko! Mein kho bhi jaaon kahin tho...tum dooond lena mujhko - tera mera - mera tera rishta bana....sabse juda!

Love you Kanha!
Publish Post

2 comments:

  1. Oooooooooooo!!!! love ya too Kanha...

    PS. Need i say anything more ;) except the fact that i din understand the lines of 'ye bhool kaise' - you r supposed to translate x( ;D

    ReplyDelete