Sunday, August 16, 2009

The elusive but simple nature of happiness

Today is a landmark day in my life - coz I learnt something profound and yet very simple - the importance of feeling happy. The thing is....today, there are so many of us who set their heart on things which they feel are "cool" - the things which on its own are so totally worthless that one wonders at the heartlessness of the actual makers in pricing them as near to the highest clouds as possible...but the ironical thing is that these are just appetizers - the more I have them, the more I want and the less satisfied and happy Iam. Its a pity that I do not get the hint and stop right there when I know that its actually the simplest of things like the view of free and lovely nature, a call from a friend after a long time, a letter or a mail from a family member, a smile from a child I just gave a sweet to, a look of gratitude from an old lady whom I helped carry her shopping bags for, or even an hour by myself where I just reflect on all my blessings in life, that bring me true happiness. A lovely party dress for me might be a dream never to come true for another. How simple would life be if I found the things which are available by the grace of providence to one and all as those which gave the utmost contentment and am happy to live with just them?

The trouble is that today acceptance in a particular circle is so important to feed my self confidence that I often forget that its actually not my paraphernalia that people like me for - its actually for the real me - and if that paraphernalia is expected by anyone, then those are not the folks who are my kindred spirits in any way. If Iam not comfortable being myself with someone then there is no point in continouing to be with them. I remember something which Suma ma'am once said about true love and friendship - "when you feel that being with a person makes you behave in a pseudo manner, or brings constant negative vibes and prevents you from being yourself, or being comfortable with being yourself, then that is certainly not true friendship. But when you are with someone and you feel that the phase of you which comes to light when you are with them is acually enlivening the best in you, then you are in the right place - coz a person who truly loves us would constantly and sometimes unconsciously send such vibes that our best side automatically comes forth and our path ahead is clearly paved for success". Such true words - such wisdom - its funny how some of our best thoughts come to us when we least expect it....its not something which we plan - its just one of those rare flashes of insight which guide us in the most trying situations - something which Madonna termed as the hand of god!!!

So now, iam gonna be myself wherever Iam - irrespective of whether it is accepted or not, coz I know that if I cannot accept myself, then there is no merit in being accepted by others - and if those others really matter - then they will never ask me to be anything but myself!!!

1 comment: